The Organ of Sherborne Abbey
The organ is located above the North transept and was originally installed by Gray and Davison in 1856, based on their gold medal winning organ shown at the 1851 Great Exhibition.
In 1951 the organ was rebuilt, with an electro-pneumatic action and a remote console being installed by J W Walker & Sons. Some tonal adjustments were made by the Bristol-based organ builder John Coulson in 1971, but the electro-pneumatic action soon declined and a complete rebuild was carried out by Bishop & Sons in 1986/7, reinstating a mechanical action.
A major rebuild and improvement of the organ was carried out by Kenneth Tickell & Co. in 2004/5, most notably adding the Nave division, which sits below the great west window.
Anyone wishing to play the organ should contact the Parish Office for further details.